2021 Highlights from the Clean Water Campaign for MI
1. Produced, sponsored, or collaborated on 4 special musical collaborations featuring Michigan musicians and water protectors.
November 5, 2021 – “Let the Wave” by Samantha Cooper (feat. Shara Nova, Jaike Spotted Wolf, Holly T. Bird & Frank Bibeau)
October 21, 2021 – “WATER SONG” by Monica Lewis-Patrick, Seth Bernard, and Amber Hasan
May 1, 2021 – “The Time Has Come” by Seth Bernard
January 20, 2021 – “Tha Water” by Amber Hasan
2. Released Episodes 21-27 of our State of Water podcast, featuring in-depth conversations on water at the confluence of youth engagement, policy, equity, community, and climate.
December 1, 2021 – Episode 26 featuring our interview with Michigan Climate Action Network Executive Director Kate Madigan and Engagement Director Jamie Simmons
November 24, 2021 – Episode 25 featuring our interview with Amber Hasan, Author, Emcee, Poet, Herbalist, Activist
November 11, 2021 – Episode 24 featuring our interview with Michigan musician, songwriter and Line 3 defendant Samantha Cooper
October 6, 2021 – Episode 23 featuring our interview with Peggy Case, President of Michigan Citizens for Water Conservation
September 29, 2021 – Episode 22 featuring our interview with Melissa DeSimone , Executive Director of Michigan Lakes and Streams Association
September 22, 2021 – Episode 21 featuring our interview with youth leaders from We the People of Detroit, Brooke Bowers and Javaye Henry
3. Produced a featured interview with Title Track Co-Executive Director, water protector, and lawyer Holly T. Bird. Seth Bernard and Holly sat down for a powerful conversation at the Neahtawanta Inn earlier this fall. Holly shares her thoughts on protecting the waters, her involvement in resistance movements such as Standing Rock, how white folks can stand in solidarity with Indigenous people, and much more.
4. Sponsored and curated music for the 4th Annual Water is Life Festival
5. Holly T. Bird and Seth Bernard participated in the Indigenous-led Evict Enbridge events on the Straits of Mackinac, featuring a talk from Winona LaDuke and calls demanding the immediate shutdown of Line 5.
6. Sponsored Midwest Mobilize: Stop Line 3 & 5″ – an online event featuring many musicians, activists, and water protectors from across the Midwest.
7. Water Equity and Climate Resilience Caucus – Celebrated a few major legislative victories for water equity and affordability through the WECR that Holly Bird and Seth Bernard are a part of on behalf of Title Track and the Clean Water Campaign.
8. Participated in virtual town halls and organizing calls along side parter organizations such as FLOW, Oil & Water Don’t Mix, Clean Water Action, Flint Rising, and We the People of Detroit.
9. Holly T. joined the Oil and Water Don’t Mix legal team opposing Line 5 and was awarded “Litigator of the Year” at NMEAC’s Environmentalist of the Year Awards.
10. Holly Bird and Seth Bernard delivered the closing remarks at this year’s Michigan Climate and Clean Energy Summit presented by Michigan Climate Action Network and Groundwork Center
We are looking forward to 2022!
- New episodes of State of Water and video mini-documentaries from our Clean Water Campaign team
- Water Protectors Training Camp – We are developing an online course to help Michigan teens deepen their relationship to water. The program will offer a historical perspective through an Indigenous lens, education about the challenges we face today, creative empowerment, tools for civic engagement, and grassroots organizing.
- RiverQuest – We look forward to restarting this unique program that provides students with an experiential education in the areas of ecology and environmental protection as well as songwriting, production and performance art.